Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SunGod87

Default Implementing an idea ...

Hello everyone. I am currently trying to create an Excel spreadsheet
that will allow someone to organise a tournament (a videogaming
tournament)

Basically, the tournament starts with the players being split into 4
groups, in each group a player must play every other player twice,
someone can either win 2-0 or the two opponents can draw 1-1.

At the end of the four groups the four highest placing participants are
entered into a 16 man knockout tournament (single elimination)

I am stuck with trying to think of a viable method for organising the
group stages. Players need to be given 1 point per match they win, so
if two people draw they both receive one point and if one person beats
another they receive 2 points. Relatively straightforward.

The only way I can think of doing this is by creating a league table
per group and having a button next to each name which, when pressed,
will add 1 point to their current total and would need to be pressed
twice for two wins etc.

Obviously this system is flawed as anyone can press the button to award
themsevles a point when noone is looking and mistakes can be made
(adding a minus 1 button as well may just be long winded)

I think that once this problem is solved the rest will be fairly
straightforward, organise groups according to number of points and then
use a macro to copy and paste the group finalists into a 16 man knockout
grid.

Can anyone think up better methods of approaching this problem?

(I hope this is in the right forum)

--
SunGod87
SunGod87's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29736