Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Default Counting # of Times an Item Shows Up in a Table

I tell you exactly where to put the formulae, B1, B2 and copy down, C1 and
copy down

--

HTH

RP

"Ralph" wrote in message
I am having the same difficulty as with RagDyeR's post which is exactly

where
to put these formulas. My table is from A1 to G11 so where do I put those
formulas Bob? Sorry, I'm a little Excel challenged. The easiest way to
communicate all this is if I could somehow post the file to you. Is that
possible?

Thanks

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

B1: = A1
B2: =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(0,COUNTIF(B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$20&""), 0)),"",

INDEX(IF(ISBLANK($A$1:$A$20),"",$A$1:$A$20),MATCH( 0,COUNTIF(B$1:B1,$A$1:$A$2
0&""),0)))

as an array formula, commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, and copy down

C1: = COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

and copy down

--

HTH

RP

"Ralph" wrote in message

Is there a way to select a table and have excel produce a list ranking

the
#
of times each item shows up in the list, i.e.

dog 5
cat 2
bird 1
???