Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default formatting end of month on a monthly sheet

Hi!

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how you can enter a month and
year in a cell and then use a fomula like =K1+1 to get the first day of that
particular month/year.

But anyhow.......

Let's assume you enter a full date in K1: 12/1/2005, and that it's just
formatted to display as mmm-yy (or some format like that)

The easiest way I can think of to do this is to use conditional formatting
on the last 3 cells that represent the 29th, 30th and 31st of any month.

This requires that the Analysis ToolPak add-in be installed.

Create a named formula:

Goto InsertNameDefine
Name: Lastday
Refers to: =EOMONTH(Sheet1!$K$1,0)
OK

Use your actual sheet name in that formula.

Now, select the last 3 cells that represent the 29th, 30th and 31st of the
month. I'll use cells K16:K18 in this example.

Select the range K16:K18
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Formula is: =K16Lastday
Click the Format button
Set the font color to be the same as the background color.
OK out

Biff

"kjharris123"
wrote in message

Thanks for a quick reply. At the top of the sheet (K1) the
user will enter the month and year in the same cell. For each day
entry, the formula was just (K1+1), (K1+2) etc., and the day cell
format is (12/1/2005). I have the page formatted in two columns 1-16th
and 17th - 31st in the second column.

--
kjharris123
kjharris123's Profile: