Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Prasad

Default How to lock a row in a spreadsheet based on the value in a cel

Hi debra,
Thanks for your reply. I tried it. But, it is not working as expected.
When I use the formula and try to edit it is not allowing me to do..That's
fine..
But what actually happening is irrespective of a value in the G column, it
is not allowing me to edit any of the values in the range I selected.

what I wanted was if there is a value 'Y' in G column then only the range
should not be editable otherwise it should be editable.

Would highly appreciate help on it.

Thank you,
Prasad

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

You could use Data Validation to prevent typing in the cells if there's
a Y in column G of the row. For example, select cells A1:F20

Choose DataValidation
From the Allow dropdown, choose Custom
In the Formula box, enter: =$G1<"Y"
Click OK

Prasad wrote:
Hi,
I am creating an personal expense datasheet. I would like to lock the entire
row if I click/ select the cell. Like I entered my expenses for that day in
cell A1 to A6. And I want that entire row to be locked if I put some value in
A7.
i.e. lets say I put a value 'Y' in cell 'A7'
I want the entire row to be locked if the A7 cell has a value Y and if the
A7cell is blank that row should be editable.

Hope, I am able to put my question correctly. Would appreciate a correct
response on it.

Thanks in advance,
Prasad

--