Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nigel

Default Data Validation with Indirect

Hi, why doesn't this work?
i have a sheet called stock with a ( named range ) as follows:

(suppliers) (woodman) (Cost)
woodman mdf £12.99
glassman plywood £6.99
metalman mfc £15.00

on my other sheet (B), in cell B9 is a data validation using Suppliers list.
depending on what is shown determines the validation list in C9. ( in this
case i want to select woodman and select plywood ).
my formula is =VLOOKUP(C9,INDIRECT(B9&"cost"),2,FALSE)

I have made a "woodmancost based on all cells for woodman and the cost
column next to it.
on sheet B, the cost as per formula should come out with £6.99 but instead i
get #N/A.

i have used examples from Deborah Dalglesh which, on her example it works
fine. am i missing something or doing something wrong?

please advise

regards,

Nigel