Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jbf frylock

Default Range of numbers in a formula...PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks for the quick reply Pete, I'm driving myself crazy with this. Let me
see if I can explain it better.

The chart will be used to figure categories without using a calculator for
income conversions or an income eligibility table as a reference to tell me
what category a family falls in. So when I enter in A1 (household size) and
then enter the income amount in A2, I need A3 to tell pop up and read "FREE",
"REDUCED, or "FULL PRICE"
This is a rough mock-up of what I need to make a spreadsheet of.
Free Reduced
household size annual inc. annual inc.
1 $10,000 $15,000
2 $14,000 $20,000
3 $18,000 $25,000
4 $22,000 $30,000
5 $26,000 $35,000
6 $30,000 $40,000
7 $34,000 $45,000
8 $38,000 $50,000

If you look at a household of 4 and they make 15,000. They are under the
22,000 mark, so they are in the free category. If they made 22,001...they
would be in the reduced category because they are $1 over the cutoff. If
this family exceeded 30,000, they would be Full Price. I need to be able to
enter in a spreadsheet for example in A1 (household) is 4...A2 (income) is
$24,618...A3 would then pop up and say "REDUCED". I need the range because
theoretically the household of 4 could make $0-$22,000...or
$22,001-$30,000....or might make $30,001-$$$$$$$. A houshold of 8 may only
make 25,000. That would put them in the FREE category since the cutoff for 8
is 38,000. If they made 38,001, it would put them in the reduced category.

I am stumped as to how to write this formula. I've been trying to use
=IF(AND(....

"Pete" wrote:

I'm not sure what the effect of the number of people is on the higher
incomes - could you explain that part a bit more?

A lookup table as follows will allow you to get the categories from the
incomes:

0 Free
1001 Reduced
2001 Paid

I can explain how to use it when I understand about the number of
people.

Pete