Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default EQUAL SIGN

It is gone as of Excel version 2002.

Not a well-liked or well-received change, I might add.

Other than the F2 or double-click to edit directly in cell I know of no way to
add the = sign without erasing cell contents.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 10:31:02 -0800, "K Nguyen" <K
wrote:

In excel 97, there was a shortcut button on the toolbar to insert the equal
sign in a cell to convert that cell into a formula without changing the
existing data on that cell (extremely useful shortcut for editing). Example
cell contains 12345 (a number) and I want to convert it to +12345-12 (a
formula). I used to be able to select this cell click on the equal sign
shortcut button and enter -12 to get the desire result.

I am currently using excel 2003 and that shortcut button is gone. There is
an option to customize the toolbar to get the equal sign shortcut but when I
click on this shortcut it erases the cell content and insert the equal sign
(not very useful).

Does anyone know of a way to insert the equal sign on a cell to convert it
to a formula without the need to edit this cell by pressing F2 to edit the
entire cell?