Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. R.Ramachandran

Default find which column has the maximum value

Hi,

If your data start in Column A (so the column range is A:CV for your 100
columns), use the following formula in may be CW (i.e., column 101) and
autofill down the rows.

=MATCH(MAX(A2:CV2),A2:CV2,0)

If your data start in some other column, say Column C, (so the range is
C:CX), use the following modification.

=MATCH(MAX(C2:CX2),C2:CX2,0)+COLUMN(C2)-1

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Frank Drost" wrote:

I have to check each row for the maximum value in that row. But instead of
writing the maximum value of that row, I have to write the column number of
that maximum value. The very first row of my dataset goes from 1 to 100,
indicating 100 columns, and is there only to number the columns. So, the
column number has to be picked from that row.
For instance, in row 20, the maximum value is 10, and it is at column 56.
How can I as output of a formula (or conditional formatting) get as answer 56?

ta