Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
heathy

Default Links broken - UNC vs drive mapping

Hi all, I have discovered a difference of behaviour which I would be
interested in hearing others' views on...

we have a master spreadsheet which contains links to other workbooks,
some in the same location (or subfolders of) x: and some in a different
location altogether, y:.

All is fine as long as the master is not moved... if it is moved, the
links to workbooks in the same area break, but the links to those on x:
are retained. Clearly, if a link is to the same location, then paths
are stored as relative, hence break when you move the workkbook..

However, if I create all the links using UNC paths rather than a drive
mapping then all are retained and work correctly... this is too
complicated for our users though.

My question is, can we change the behaviour of the way links are
stored, so that it retains the full path to linked files rather than
just a relative one? Many thanks for any responses... oh, this is
Office XP, Excel 2002. We are migrating to Office 2003 at end of next
year, does the behaviour change?