Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PattiP

Default Sending data to Access Database

Hi Michael,

The spreadsheet is set up something like this:

"Date, Company, ScheduleType, HourEnding1, HourEnding2,....HE24" across the
top of the sheet. I have a section for sales and a section for purchases
where the Megawatts (MW) sold or purchased are entered under each hour for
each transaction.
In another area of the spreadsheet I have a similar setup where the prices
are entered. I will eventually calculate the HE1 MW X HE1 price for each
transaction, but would like do all that in Access. Howver, instead of having
over 50 fields (ie, HE1MW, HE1price, HE2MW, HE2price....) I would like to set
up the Access database something like this:

"Date, HourEnding, Company, ScheduleType, Megawatt, Price" so that each
company/schedule type could have up to 24 records, 1 for each hour.

I guess one question I have that co-workers have asked me is: is it wrong to
have 50+ fields in my database?? I know there's always more than one way to
do things and I think it could be do-able but seems very cumbersome and not
the "right way" to do it based on previous database training that I've had.

any help would be greatly appreciated... THANKS!

Patti
--
Patti

"Michael" wrote:

PattiP, could you supply a short sample of your table?
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"PattiP" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet for hourly energy sales and purchases. The hours are
horizontal with all the entries below in rows. I would like send this data to
Access for after-the-fact reporting. However, I would like to have a single
date/time field so that each of the hours is a record rather than have a
field for each hour. Is there a way to get the Excel data into a useable
format to transfer the data into Access?

Patti