Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joker

Default Shorten an IF formula

Thanks for the reply Bob. The reason I was getting the error is because I was
using each day as another IF formula. I had 91 days so I had 91 formulas
added together. I only included the first three in my post. Excel apparently
only lets you have 1240 or so characters. That is the reason for the error. I
really appreciate the quick reply. Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

I cannot understand why you get an error with that, but this is shorter

=(C11=Sheet2!C1)*Sheet2!E1+(C11=Sheet2!C2)*Sheet2! E2+(C11=Sheet2!C3)*Sheet2!
E3

and if C1:C3 are uniique values, this is even shorter

=INDEX(Sheet2!E1:E3,MATCH(C11,Sheet2!C1:C3,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Joker" wrote in message
Is there anyway to shorten an IF formula? What I am trying to do is

display a
certain number that coinsides with the date. Here is the formula that I am
currently using. It works but it is too long and the "Formula Is Too Long"
error pops up when I have too many days.

=IF(C11=Sheet2!C1,Sheet2!E1,0)+IF(C11=Sheet2!C2,Sh eet2!E2,0)+IF(C11=Sheet2!C
3,Sheet2!E3,0).
In the first part of the formula C11 is today's date. Sheet2!C1 is any

date.
Sheet2!E1 is a number. I need a the cell to display the number if today's
date matches the date on the Sheet2. Sheet2 has 91 days to display. Thank

you
for your help.