Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Default Entry into check box dependent on other check box.

Make your rowheights slightly larger (so you can fit the option buttons and
groupbox nicely).

Say you're going to start with Row 3 (headers in rows 1&2).

Show the Forms toolbar
click on the groupbox icon and then draw that groupbox within row 3.
Now click on the optionbutton icon on that same toolbar
Draw an optionbutton with in that groupbox
click on that option button and drag it within the groupbox (2nd button)
and do it once more for the 3rd button.

Line things up as best you can.

Rightclick on any of the 3 optionbuttons and select format control
on the control tab, type in the address of the cell that should be used as the
cell link.

Now show the drawing toolbar.
click on that arrow icon
lasso the groupbox (that'll include the 3 option buttons)

now ctrl-click and drag it to a new row.
You'll have to change the linked cell manually, though.

Repeat for as many rows as you want.

The macro tries to do all that junk for you. You may want to try it.

Stilla wrote:

Hello again Dave! Thank you for replying to my question and for waking me up
to OPTION BUTTONS!! THe link you sent was very impressive... and the
example is sort of similar to my situation. I don't know VBA though, and my
experience with macros is about a week old... So, I'm trying to do what I can
just using menus and control functions.

I have experimented with the various control functions...and it seems like I
am SOOO close, but I don't know whether I can get what I want without using
code.

The "listbox" is the closest thing... The listbox lets me make a vertical
list of entries with a vertical column of buttons. BUT..but what I'd like
to do is have this type of structu
Strong Avg Weak
question 1 button button button
question 2 button button button
question 3 button button button
question 4 button button button

Is there anyway I can do this using control toolbox/properties, without
writing code? Another limitation is that I don't want macros attached to the
form.

Thanks again..

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

How about using optionbuttons? That's the way they behave.

You may want to try this:
http://www.contextures.com/xlform01.html

Stilla wrote:

Hi Ron! Thanks.. this would be a good workaround.. I've now decided to have
3 columns.... strong, average, weak (against a set of skills, for example).
It will be of interest to collect each of the three types of data, for later
analyses.

I know I can accomplish this easily with validation... but I would like to
learn how to work with check boxes... they do save the user one click.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Why not just have one set of checkboxes that the user checks only if YES.
Unless the alternative to YES can be something other than NO.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Stilla" wrote:

I'd like to have a vertical list of items and next to them I'd like to place
two vertical sets of check boxes. Let's say one set is the YES column, and
the other set is the NO column.

How do I set it up so that a user CANNOT check both YES and NO... ? So, if
someone checks YES, then changes their mind and checks NO, then the check in
he YES column would disappear and vice versa?

Does this involve complicated code?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

--

Dave Peterson