Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chris Lavender

Default Vlookup using two columns

Hi Daniel

Simplest might be to add another column on the left, with a concatenation of
columns A and B ie,
IBMDirector
IBMManaging Director
IBMVice President
3MDirector
3MManaging Director

and then have your lookup look for a concatenation eg,
=VLOOKUP(B15&"Managing Director",A:D,4,0)

HTH Best rgds
Chris Lav

"Daniel Bonallack" wrote in
message ...
In column A I have companies, in column B I have titles, in column C, I

have
names

Column A repeats companies, as there are a bunch of titles for each

company.

In column D, I would like to return the name of the "Managing Director"

for
each company (so it will be one name repeated for each company), based on
looking up the title in column B in combination with each unique company

eg
IBM, Director, Bob [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
IBM, Managing Director, Tim [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
IBM, Vice President, Mary [in D, returned value = "Tim"]
3M, Director, Sarah [in D, returned value = "Robyn"]
3M, Managing Director, Robyn [in D, returned value = "Robyn"]

Thanks in advance

Daniel