Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Default Convert letters into numbers. i.e. ABCD = 52

It's a known technique used in many ways, here's another from
Bob Phillips basically using the same technique to get something else

http://tinyurl.com/9oh4n

Peo Sjoblom

"Richard Buttrey" wrote in
message ...
That's quite brilliant.

Would you mind explaining (in English) how this sumproduct is working
please.

I thought sumproduct needed at least a couple of arrays, but this only
appears to have one.

Rgds

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 06:10:03 -0800, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:

Try this:
For a DNA sequence in Cell A1
B1: =SUMPRODUCT(CODE(UPPER(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LE N(A1))),1)))-33)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Rhapsody 1234" wrote:

I work with DNA and would like to assign numerical values to the bases.

i.e.
A = 32 etc.
Ideally, I just want to past a DNA sequence into Excel, e.g. ATGCCA and

then
have a numerical display of the value obtained if these are summed.

e.g. if
A=32, AA=64, AAA=96 etc.

Any way I can do this?
Thanks!