Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
barbarat

Default formula for a pension

i understood that the INT worked to rund because it was positive. i should
have stated that i went to the manual, and under help, so i got what you
said.
can you help me with the second part?
also, i had a thought. on the first formula, could i have used a separate
sheet, then filtered out the no's, then done a formula that referenced the
prior sheet? or is that more complicated (it's all complicated to me!)
the second one, i keep getting error messages, and when i try to get out of
the ell, lose what i have entered...help, please
--
barbarat

" wrote:

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
I meant with regards, to the post saying "Well, for truncating"
it is incorrect, INT rounds down to the nearest integer,
TRUNC truncates

Technically correct. My comment was made in context.
The discussion is about compensation etc, which is always
positive. The OP said that INT() would "round". I said it
"truncates". Arguably, I should have said "rounds down".
I was tempted to write that, but I thought "truncate" might
be clearer, since it is the same thing for positive numbers.

Having said all that, I will try to be more careful in the future,
since "int" does mean truncate (the unsigned magnitude)
in some programming languages.