Frank Kabel

Hi
are you using the semicolon as delimiter?. If yes replace the comas
with a semicolon

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Richard H Knoff wrote:
Frank,
thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
I'm having problems, however, applying the validation rule. I get
a "formula error" message when I try to apply the rule to B1. I
also get the error message when I try to paste og type in part of
the rule, like
=LEFT(B1,LEN(A1))=A1 or
=NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND("?",B1))

But =ISNUMBER(A1) is accepted.

I've translated the formula terms to Norwegian, by the way.

Any ideas??

Regards,
Richard

"Frank Kabel" wrote in
:

Hi Richard
try
Cell A1 is your restirct cell and B1 the cell for which you want
to apply this validation

In the validation dialog enter
=(LEFT(B1,LEN(A1))=A1)*NOT(ISNUMBER(FIND("?",B1)))

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Richard H Knoff wrote:
I need to create a validation rule that goes like this:
(1) Only accept values that start with the value in named cell
"Restrict"
(2) Do not accept values that contain a "?" (a question mark).

Example:
If the cell "Restrict" contains "abc", the cell with the
validation rule should accept "abc", "abcd", "abc123" etc, but
not "abc?", "abcd?", "aab" or anything else. If "Restrict"
contains "a", the cell should accept anything starting with
"a", unless there's a "?" involved.

This should be possible, shouldn't it??

Richard