Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Default Annualizing data

Hi Julie

How is your previous year's data held?
If you have a collection of sales with all of their individual dates, then
it would be easy enough to use Sumproduct for the range of dates that
corresponds to this year's year to date. You would then have a like for like
period comparison of actual data.

If you are adjusting this year's figures to scale them up to a full year,
are you just multiplying this year's figures by a ratio of Year/Year to date?
If so, then the multiplication factor would just need to be set to

=1/((TODAY()-yearstart)/(EOMONTH(yearstart,11)-yearstart))
provided your yearstart is the first day of a month. If it isn't post back
and the formula can be amended.

EOMONTH is a feature from the Analysis Toolpack
ToolsAddinsAnalysis Toolpak

Regards

Roger Govier

Julie wrote:
I often compare sales data from the current year to the past year. When I do
this, I take the YTD figures and annualize using a constant. Each time I go
back I have to put in a new constant depending on the date.

Is there any kind of equation that will take a figure and annualize it based
on whatever day the file is open?