Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Default Imported numbers change to dates

imajinaree wrote:
I often copy tables off the internet and they contain text like "1-2" or
"5-11". When those numbers are imported, they automatically covert to a date:
"2-Jan" or "11-May". I want them to be imported as text. If I pre-format
the cells as text, the formatting is overwritten by the pasting of the data.
If I try to format the cells after the data has been imported, it changes the
data to a 5-digit number that has no meaning to me.

Is there any way to paste all the data as text, while retaining the table
format?

Have you tried to first format the column to text, and then when you do the
paste, use "Paste Special" and select "values"? Your normal Paste also replaces
the formats as well as the values.

Bill