Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
imajinaree

Default Imported numbers change to dates

I often copy tables off the internet and they contain text like "1-2" or
"5-11". When those numbers are imported, they automatically covert to a date:
"2-Jan" or "11-May". I want them to be imported as text. If I pre-format
the cells as text, the formatting is overwritten by the pasting of the data.
If I try to format the cells after the data has been imported, it changes the
data to a 5-digit number that has no meaning to me.

Is there any way to paste all the data as text, while retaining the table
format?