Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Default Grouping By Date in Pivot Table

It might be easier to do this to convert the text to dates:

Select the range
edit|replace
what: / (slash)
with: / (slash)
replace all

Excel will see it as a date. Make sure the date is in the same format (mdy or
dmy) as your short date format for your pc.

Another way is to select the range
data|text to columns
choose fixed width
remove any lines that excel guessed
choose mdy (or dmy) to match the data

Shams wrote:

Thank you very much for all of your inputs. The original data came from a
mainframe file and for some reason was still being referenced with .txt
features even though it was transferred into excel. I basically replicated
that scenario by first taking my raw data and saving it as comma delimited
and then opening it back again in excel..I reformated the Date column as date
and ran my Pivot..the Group By Date worked like a charm. I am not sure why
it happened but it seemed to have worked. Thanks, again.

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
I am trying to do a pivot table that will use the following data to first
sum the subtotal by Product and then Date. In this Case, I want Pivot to
Group by Date such as BA for January 2004 is 1,703.44. So, I am creating the
Pivot table selecting Product and Date under Rows and then summing by
subtotal. From my report, I try to right-mouse click on the Date field and
try to select Group. Excel comes back saying that it cannot Group that
selection. I am not sure why that's happening. My Date field is of the Date
format. Can somebody please help? Thanks.

DATE PRODUCT SUBTOTAL

1/1/2004 BA 256.36
1/9/2004 BA 369.36
1/15/2004 BA 482.36