Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default number returns only two decimal places after I change from text

Changing the format to Number with 2 decimal places doesn't actually change the
value in the cell.

You could use another function to change the value, though.

if you have a formula that returns a value, you could wrap it in =round() (or
one of =round()'s several siblings).

=round(yourformula,0)

If you look at the help for round, you can click on "See Also" and see lots of
rounding functions.

=roundup()
=rounddown()
=ceiling()
=floor()
=trunc()
=int()
=mround()

Some of these are in the analysis toolpak, too. So to use =mround(), you have
to have that addin loaded (but help describes how to do that).

quale wrote:

Dear Colleague,
When the cell is formatted for text and I change to number, it only returns
the number with two decimal places It will not change to a whole number or
number with decimals.

I tried re-loading the application and that did not work? I have Excel 2000
and sent the file to a 2002 user and it loaded fine.

I have seen in other applications from users that for some reason their
numbers have quotations marks around them and they can't do formulas. Please
help.

Thanks.

Louis

--