Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gee-off

Default Countif, then multiply??

I guess what I am really trying to do is "add" the second digit of "A1" &
"B1" and put the sum in "C1".....so long as the first digit is an "S".

"Gee-off" wrote:

A B C
1 S6 S2

I know how to use the countif function as if to count all values that equal
"S*" (value beginning with "S" only regardless of the following number) in a
row. Then tally, per row, the number of times "S*" appeared in the range.
The formula for "C1" would be: =countif(A1:B2,"S*") which right now would
return the value of 1. Now what I want to do is in addition to this formula,
I want "C1" to also calculate the countif portion and then multiply the
countif returned value by the second number in the stated cell. i.e. A1 =
S6, so "C1" has a value of "1", now mulitply the "1" by the second digit in
"A1" (which is 6). How would I go about this?