Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Default Grouping By Date in Pivot Table

I still think it's a problem in the raw data.

I'd spend time looking there first.

Shams wrote:

Folks,
I took another look at my dataset and ths time I used a handful of rows to
test the Pivot Table ensuing that the Date Field was in date format
(m/dd/yyyyy). It still doesn't work. Let me try to paste a snapshot of the
Pivot Table Report that is being created:

Sum of Subtotal
Product Date Total

BA 3/28/2005 1979.34
9/28/2004 790.53
10/5/2004 1503.3
10/12/200411274.8
10/19/20041880.69
10/26/20042933.67
11/1/2004 1085.98
11/8/2004 1666.45
11/15/20041853.1
11/22/20041467.86
11/29/20041626.94
12/6/2004 1480.4
12/13/20041689.71
12/20/20042032.68
1/4/2005 3721.89
1/10/2005 1759.75
1/17/2005 2048.5
1/24/2005 3276.52
1/31/2005 1551.58
3/7/2005 2126.97
3/14/2005 2045.91
3/21/2005 2333.56
BA Total 52130.13

BH 3/28/2005 1334.16
4/11/2005 2213.94
4/18/2005 1529.16
4/4/2005 2547.78
9/29/2004 1514.18
10/6/2004 2701.09
10/13/20042218.33
10/20/20042027.16
10/26/20041312.41
11/1/2004 954.15
11/8/2004 945.28
11/15/20042280.78
11/22/20041829.11
11/29/20041150.86
12/6/2004 1182.66
12/13/20042110.05
12/20/20041917.51
1/17/2005 1786.11
1/24/2005 2364.51
1/31/2005 1408.62

BH Total 47952.88
Grand Total 100083.01

I hope you can decipher the unfriendly paste that I did above but that's
basically is the Pivot Table I am getting. The Product & Date Fields have
drop-down arrows. I am right-mouse clicking on Date and trying to select the
Group Function - I still get the error. I have no idea why this is
happening..... Could you maybe try to play with a few numbers at your end
ensuring both 2004/2005 Dates for BA and BH and see if it groups for you.
Thanks for all your help - much appreciated.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

The only time I've failed to be able to group by dates is when there's something
in that field that isn't a date--either text or even an empty cell.

Any chance???

Shams wrote:

Folks,
I am trying to do a pivot table that will use the following data to first
sum the subtotal by Product and then Date. In this Case, I want Pivot to
Group by Date such as BA for January 2004 is 1,703.44. So, I am creating the
Pivot table selecting Product and Date under Rows and then summing by
subtotal. From my report, I try to right-mouse click on the Date field and
try to select Group. Excel comes back saying that it cannot Group that
selection. I am not sure why that's happening. My Date field is of the Date
format. Can somebody please help? Thanks.

DATE PRODUCT SUBTOTAL

1/1/2004 BA 256.36
1/9/2004 BA 369.36
1/15/2004 BA 482.36