Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
garry05

Default Maybe I need help with Lookups??

Hi all...a newbie here.

I'm okay with many Excel functions, but I don't go too deep: Can't do
macros, lookups, that sort of thing.

Here's my dilemma: Sheet-2 has a list of 10 aircraft, and the goal is
to accumulate the hours-flown for each aircraft. Sheet-2 Column A is
the aircraft# (1-10), B is the aircraft name, C is the accumulated
hours-flown. Keeping it simple, let's say that A1=1, B1=Cessna, and
C1=26.5

Now, back to Sheet-1: Someone flew the Cessna for 2 hours...in A1 I'll
enter 1 for the aircraft#, and in B1 I'll enter "2" for the hours-flown.
Now Sheet-2 C1=28.5, or maybe some cell on Sheet-1, for all I care.

I can, of course, just go to Sheet 2, find the right column/cell and
update manually, but this is duplicated effort that leaves _way_ too
much room for human eror.

If anyone can help with this, it would be much appreciated...let me
know if you want a copy of the existing spreadsheet.

Thanks,
Garry )

--
garry05