Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Father Guido

Default How to stop a file from opening when XL starts?

Hi Wibs,

Another good suggestion, I'm not sure how I ended up with the first
file in C:\Documents and Settings\root\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART in the first place, but I was looking for
rogue files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART
but your method would point out the path easily.

Thanks for your help,

Norm

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 16:34:46 -0600, Wibs
wrote:

~
~For each file that is loaded, go into File, Properties, General Tab
and
~it should give you the path to the file.
~
~When searching for files also make sure that you select the options
for
~searching within system folders. It is also a good idea to search the
~Registry for mention of the file. Also search the registry for
XLSTART,
~there might be more than one location.
~
~Wibs
~
~
~Father Guido Wrote:
~ Hi,
~
~ This isn't as easy as you may think.
~
~ I'm running XL2003 on Windows XP home and have a strange problem.
When
~ I start XL it opens with a file named chart 1 gif 1.gif. I have
looked
~ in the XLSTART folder but there's nothing in there, I do not have
~ anything in the folder to open files from upon starting XL either.
~ have searched my hard drives for a file named as such without luck.
~ While testing I tried saving the file as chart 1 gif 1.guf to see
if I
~ could find out where it was stored unsuccessfully, so now I get
both
~ of those files opening each time I start XL, but their is no record
of
~ either file anywhere on my system. I also tried copying a file to
the
~ XLSTART folder to see how that worked and sure enough it also
starts
~ when I open XL, that gives me three files that open each time I
start
~ XL. This last file can be seen in the XLSTART folder and when I
~ deleted it, it no longer starts up with XL. It's as if the other
two
~ files are in the XLSTART folder, at least they act the same way,
but
~ somehow they're invisible to searches and viewing.
~
~ Anyone have any ideas how I can delete these 'ghost' files from
~ opening with XL?
~
~ Thanks,
~