David McRitchie

Yes, but Julie in Australia (not US version of Excel)

the US zip format in Special is 0000
and the zip+4 format is 00000-0000

You can use the following
[<100000]00000_-_0_0_0_0;[0]00000-0000;;@

Problem with anything but text ist that 12345-1234 is a
much larger number than 12345 and will not be sorted to
the same area.

To fix anything that was manually entered I have a macro
fixUSzip5 found at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#fixUSzip5
so that 5 digits or less will be converted to text as 5 digits
and anything else would already be text if manually entered
into cells as General. So everything then is text and left
just justified, and sorts properly.
---
HTH,

"Norman Jones" wrote in message ...
Hi Julie,

Format | Cells | Special Zip Code

was intended to read:

Format | Cells | Special | Zip Code

---
Regards,
Norman

"Norman Jones" wrote in message
Hi Julie,

how are you "formatting it as a zip code" ... what actual steps do you
take?

I would surmise:

Format | Cells | Special Zip Code

---
Regards,
Norman

"JulieD" wrote in message
Hi Dean

how are you "formatting it as a zip code" ... what actual steps do you
take? (i'm in Australia and our postcodes are different to your zip codes
so i'm not actually sure what you mean when you say that you are
formatting it as a zip code).

what happens if you try the method i outlined in my last post - do you
see the 0 in print preview?

Cheers
JulieD