Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Default display a drop-down list based on the content of another cell

Hi!

One way:

Make a list of the acceptable entries and give that list a defined name:

J1 = red
J2 = green
J3 = blue

InsertNameDefine
Name: List
Refers to: =Sheet1!$J$1:$J$3

Select the cell to apply the drop down
Goto DataValidation
Allow: list
Source: =CHOOSE((A1=100)*1,List)

You may get a message that says something to the effect: The source
currently evaluates to an error........Do you want to continue? Just answer
YES.

If cell A1 =100 then the drop down selections will be red, green or blue.

If cell A1<100 the drop down arrow will appear (when the drop down cell is
selected) but no selections will be available.

Biff

"Joe S" <Joe wrote in message
I want to display a drop-down validation list for a target cell only if the
vlaue in another cell meets or exceeds a numerical threshold. If the
threshold is not met, I want to force the target cell to remain blank.

Cell A contents ----- Cell B contents
< 100 must be blank
= 100 may only be "red" or "green" or "blue"

Using MS Office Excel 2003