asdfasdf

Thanks a bazillion JE :-)

What you posted is sooooooooo much shorter and cleaner than what I had
been able to come up with so far.

I believe I did exactly as you said and ran into two small problems
unfortunately. Perhaps I put something in the wrong place ?

Monthly sales start in B2 with ytd in c2. C3 reads =c2+b3.

One problem is with the cells for future months with nothing entered.
Here is what I get.

Monthly YTD running total Amt Owed
50000 50000 15000
49000 99000 14700
11000 110000 18600

For the future months, the YTD carries down via my forumla and an AMT
OWED is calculated. I tried to hide the YTD by doing IF(b5=0,0,b5+c4)
and while it put zeroes in the YTD, the amt owed was still calculated.

The second (and most important) problem is located on line 4 were the
YTD splits tiers.

YTD was at 99,000 and 11,000 was added. End result should be ($1000*.3)
and ($10,000*.33) which would give you $300+$3300, or $3600 in amt owed.
But it is coming up with $18600.

Unfortunately, I can't go in and tinker around with what you provided as
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever about SUMPRODUCT functions.

I have double checked to make sure that I followed your directions, but
must admit that I could very easily be missing something.

Could you pop the same numbers in on your side and see if you get the
same results ?

Thanks,

Dave

JE McGimpsey wrote in news:jemcgimpsey-
:

I would guess that something like this will suit your needs:

J K L
1 Threshold Marginal Rate Diff. Rate
2 0 30% =K2
3 100000 33% =K3-K2
4 300000 35% =K4-K3

Now, assume your monthly sales start in B2, with year-to-date sales in
C2. Then the first month's commission is

D2: =SUMPRODUCT(--(C2$J$2:$J$4),(C2-$J$2:$J$4),$L$2:$L$4)

subsequent months' commissions will then just be the total calculated
commission, less the commission paid to date:

D3: =SUMPRODUCT(--(C3$J$2:$J$4),(C3-$J$2:$J$4),$L$2:$L$4) - D2

Copy D3 down as far as necessary.

In article ,
asdfasdf wrote:

Thanks for the link Aladin,

I checked the site out and it is on the right track, but there are
differences that I can't work out.

Here is what I tried to work with from McGimpsey's.