Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jerry W. Lewis

Default Strange Calculation Error in Excel (2)

wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Extended precision packages like xlPrecision also do not solve the problem, they just push it farther out (though they do have their uses). <

This is true of some extended precision packages, but not true of
xlPrecision. xlPrecision never converts anything to binary.

Refer back to my decimal example. The basic issue is that some
calculations simply cannot be performed exactly in a numeric system that
has less than infinite precision. Decimal/binary conversions merely
extend that issue to numbers where we might not expect to see it.

Jerry