Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ed

Default This should be easy...

Bob,

Thank you. That worked beautifully. I'm trying to understand the
equation, but am having trouble deciphering it (I've never used most of
these functions for anything before). Honestly, I'm not being
intellectually or google-search/excel-help lazy when I say this, but I
really don't understand what's going on in the parenthases once you use
the MAX function.

Here's my thought process:
By using INDEX, you're defining, within a range, what row and column
should be displayed in the cell. So, "Index(B2:D2,1" is say to choose
the current row in the range B2:D2. That's straightforward.

So, and this is where I get really cloudy, "Max(IF(Isblank(B2:D2),0" is
saying if the range B2:D2 is blank, then column equals zero?
Otherwise, "IF(B2:D2="-",0,COLUMN(B2:D2)-1)," is saying if the range is
literally a hyphen???, then it's equal to zero, otherwise it equals the
number of columns in the range minus one??? Also realizing that the
latter info is included in picking out the MAX value.

Besides really wanting to understand how this formula and its functions
work, I wanted to alter it such that I can account for the extra
columns I mentioned in the previous post. What I meant by extra
columns is that there are 3 columns that further describe the data
numerically, but I did not want included in them in the formula for the
"Total" cell.

Thanks in advance for any illumination you can offer.

-Ed