Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Dermot

Default Caculating Columns Between Certain Dates

Thanks for the link Bob ( Lots to get through here) and explanation.

I have tried to find the posting dated the 8-nov but I always find it
difficult searching for previous postings if I have overlooked keeping my
notification email. Can you send me a link to it?
Thanks
Dermot

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Dermot" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply Bob,
I have looked up the SUMPRODUCT Function in my excel inside out book to
better.
I have yet to try the formula but wonder if you could clarify a few
questions for me?

1. Can you write a verbal interpretation of the formula you have supplied

me
so I can better understand the reasoning behind it?

See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

2. Using your supplied formula. Can it be place in any cell or does it

have
to be a specific cell to ensure the correct cell references?

No, as long as your refer back to the correct cells, it can be placed
anywhere.

3. The Dates you have entered. How are these entered? Can they be changed
for different periods throughout the year? Does the individual using the
spreadsheet need to modify the formula or just enter a start date and end
date, and then the calculation would be automatic? The intended users are

not
too familiar with excel, and I am not sure what I can and cannot do with
excel regarding this problem.

What I gave you was two example dates to test between. It can be changed to
any two dates that you want. I used ISO standard date formats, yyyy-mm-dd,
either change the date such as --"2005-01-01" by something other date, or
put the date in a cell and refer to that. If you know the periods, that is
if they are fixed, you could code all of them directly into the spreadsheet,
saving the users any need to change it.

I do need to find a solution Bob and appreciate your contribution. You
supplied me with a brief formla for another problem, which resolved my
problem, but it took me a while before I undestood what I was doing.

I have just Googled that. I replied to something on 8th Nov, and I see that
you responded 10 days later. I didn't see that in the NGs. Do you still need
help on that one?