Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

Default Why do some filename's appear blue instead of black?

CRW

Blue file names indicate these have been Compressed.

Green file names indicate they are Encrypted.

If the colors annoy you......

Open My Computer or any Folder

ToolsFolder OptionsView

Scroll down to Files and Folders and uncheck

"show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color"

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 03:42:02 -0800, CRW wrote:

Here's probably a very simple question for a lot of you, but has left me
curious because someone in my office asked me this question (some of his
excel filename's appeared blue), and I didn't have a clue.

Please somebody explain to me why a filename (any MS Office filetype) is
sometimes displayed in a blue format instead of the usual black?

How useful is this characteristic other than making the file stand out
easily in a long list of similar files that have the black filename format?

Answers appreciated, thanks!