Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Default Change entries from last name, first name

It is much easier (and better spreadsheet / database construction practice)
to have information like this in different fields. The same goes for
addresses where house number, street, locality, town, post or zip code and
country should all be in different fields.

One reason for this is that it makes it easier to sort and search for data -
especially when doing a data cleaning exercise It is very easy to
concatenate (join) information for outputting to forms, letters etc. but
more difficult to separate it out. Perhaps you would consider breaking the
data down into its component parts rather than perpetuating this problem.

If you would let us know how you would like to proceed I'm sure someone will
help.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"djlny" wrote in message
I have to combine my list of almost 800 names listed as last name, first
name, with another list which has them as first, then last.

Can I somehow correct my entries to read as first then last?

Thanks much,
djlny