Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default concatenate command

meg

Concatenation changes the cell format to Text.

The phone number format will not work on Text.

You must change the formula result to a value first.

Select range of formulas then

CopyPaste SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Still Text so copy an empty cell, select cells and Paste SpecialAddOKEsc

Now format as phone numbers.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 08:35:43 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to format a column of cells that were created by combining 2
different cells using concatenate command.

The result is a phone number, but when I go to format it (so it
displays as a phone number (###) ###-####), nothing happens.

I'm using Excel 97 (don't laugh), but this is the case on XP as well

Thanks