Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Default Lost ability to open (activate) Excel files from Explorer, Outlook

Henny

Try the usual fix(es) for this problem.

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 03:59:03 -0800, "Henny"
wrote:

I have lost the ability to open Excel files by clicking on their icon from
within programs apart from Excel. eg if I click on an Excel file icon from
Explorer or Outlook, then Excel starts but the file I wanted does not open.
If I use Excel to open the file there are no problems.