Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DOR

Default How do I pull a random sample of people from a list in excel?

OOOPS! I gave you a more complex formula than you needed for the
helper column. It can just be =RAND(), as JE McGimpsey points out in
his referenced web site. My formula still works; it just selects the
random sample differently since it was originally formulated for a
slightly different application.

However, the suggestion for column C still stands - it enables you to
make the sample size a spreadsheet variable. It works with RAND() in
the helper column. When used with my original helper column formula it
presents the samples in the sequence in which they exist in the list
rather than the random number sequence in which they would be presented
using JE's web-site method 2, which may or may not be a benefit.

HTH

Declan