Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

Default Data Validation preventing ISTEXT() from reading FALSE in '97

Thanks for the lead.
Actualy ended up using NOT(A1="") as < didn't seem to do anything. I
hadn't thought to test for the nul string though I had been using it all
over the place. I wish Excel would allow you to just do nothing if the IF()
failed...

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message
If I understand you correctly, the cells aren't failing the ISTEXT()
test because the null string ("") is text.

Try

=IF(A1<"", <do something , "")

In article ,
"Adam Kroger" wrote:

I have a series of cells in my worksheet that are villed by DATA
VALIDATION
lists.
The list for data validation is propogated by an INDIRECT() to a named
range
on another sheet in the workbook.

In other cells I am trying to use =IF(ISTEXT(A1),<do something,"")

The cells are not failing the ISTEXT() test even when they are blank.
Why?
and more to the point, how can I stop the error messages from being all
over
my spreadsheet until I make selctions in the VALIDATION cells, as that is
teh entire purpose of the ISTEXT(). I also tried ISBLANK() but it would
not
read false either. ISNUMBER() has no chance becasue the propogated
entries
are text.

Help, my spreadsheet works, but it looks ugly. ;-)

Adam