Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

Default formatting won't apply to my cell with a formula

Isn't your cell actually text, although it may look like a number?
Try =ISNUMBER(A1)
If it is text,:
Format an empty cell as General. Enter the number 1. EditCopy. Select your
data. EditPaste Special, check Multiply.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Adrienne" wrote in message
I downloaded the checkbook register from Microsoft.com and am trying to add
few cells at the end to quickly calculate my outstanding debits and
credits
so that I can balance my statements automatically. I figured out how to
write
the formula properly (eventually), but the cells will not take on the
currency format no matter what I do. I have tried pasting the format from
the
other cells within the register, tried clearing the format and reapplying
the
currency format, tried accounting, etc.