Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Domenic

Default Pulling a Letter from a cell and filling another cell with info

If E86, E87, and E84 are actually cell references, change the formula to
the following...

=INDIRECT(VLOOKUP(MID(C1,5,1),$A$1:$B$3,2,0))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Domenic wrote:

Let A1:B3 contain the following table...

U E86
V E87
R E84

Then, use the following formula...

=VLOOKUP(MID(C1,5,1),$A$1:$B$3,2,0)

...where C1 contains a value such as RS23U1R109000. Adjust the table
accordingly and formula accordingly.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
nick s <nick wrote:

I am a newbee at this so bare with me......

Here is what I am trying to do with no luck so far.
If I type RS23U1R109000 in a cell A1, I want B1 to read the 5th letter or
number and fill B1 with E86.

Example
A1= RS23U1R109000 B1=E86
A1= RS23V1R109000 B1=E87
A1= RS23R1R109000 B1=E84

As you can see in my example, the 5th letter could be U,V,R or whatever,
but
I need cell B1 to read that letter and populate B1 with E86, E87, E84 or
whatever.

I hope I haven't confused anyone...