Frank Kabel

Hi Dave
just as a note: This won't work in some/most European countries. If you
want a hardcoded string better to use the ISO date format:
=SUMIF(G3:G5,""&"2002-10-1",H3:H5)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Dave R." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
If the cell contains a date, it will contain some number like 37756

or
something. If your formula with hand written date is

=SUMIF(G3:G5,""&"10/1/2002",H3:H5)

try putting 10/1/2002 (ensure Excel knows it's a date. you can format

it as
a number to be sure) in H1, then you can use

=SUMIF(G3:G5,""&H1,H3:H5)

"bkclark" wrote in message
How do I create a formula in Excel that will countif or sum if

before or
after a specific date? Whenever I put the actual date in the

formula it
works, but when I reference to the cell the date is in it returns

0.