Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Harlan Grove

Default How does one refer to the n-1 element of a named range?

"Charles Hewitt" <Charles wrote...
If I have established a range called Beginning_Inventory, and I want to set
it equal to the previous period's Ending_Inventory, what do I have to do?
(Clearly, one could use a relative reference, but there are other reasons
for
not doing so.)

So each period has its own named range like Data2005Oct? If so, and if the
current range's period could be derived from, say, its row 1 column 2 cell,
and if the ending inventory were in the preceding period's row 20 column 7
cell, then you could try something like the following to pull the October
2005 ending inventory into the November 2005 range.

=INDEX(INDIRECT(TEXT(INDEX(Data2005Nov,1,2)-DAY(INDEX(Data2005Nov,1,2)),
"\D\a\t\aYYYYMMM")),20,7)