Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default data truncates when converting .csv to .xls

When you double click on that .csv file, you don't have any control over how
excel sees your data.

And excel will see that field as numeric and treat it that way. The bad news is
that excel only keeps track of up to 15 digits when dealing with numbers.

Try saving that attachment on my harddrive somewhere as .txt (not .csv).

Then open excel and do
File|Open (that .txt file)

You'll see the data import wizard pop up and you'll be able to specify Text for
this long numeric field. And as text, excel will keep all the digits as-is.

sergio wrote:

I receive every day an e-mail with a file with data in .csv format.
When opening this file as a .xls, a specific field with a 20 digit value,
gets truncated and last 5 digits appear as Cero.
(of course they were not Cero in the original .csv file)
in summary:
"23848730987391234598" is converted to -- "23848730987391200000"

can someone help?
than you

--

Dave Peterson