Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Nested Formula

Hi!

For ties:

Use an additional column and rank the the point totals.

This formula will break any ties:

=RANK(A1,A$1:A$20)+COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)-1

Copy down as needed.

Then base the lookup formula on the ranks:

=INDEX(player_name_range,MATCH(ROWS($1:1),ranks_ra nge,0))

Copy down 5 cells.

Biff

"MichaelS" wrote in message
This works. However, when there are multiple players with the same point
totals, it only matches the first one in the array. I have played with a
method to break the tie by using a small factoring variable based on the
players jersey number. This works, but it doesn't seem very elegant.
When I started playing with the LARGE function, I thought is was pretty
cool
that it recognized and ranked the values even though there were
duplicates.
I guess I just hoped there was a way to do some sort of a lookup based on
the
LARGE that would also recognize and handle duplicate values.
Thanks
--
LTR

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:
A1: Rank
B1: Score
C1: Name

A2:A6 enter numbers 1 through 5

B2: =LARGE($N$14:$N$29,A2)
Copy that down through B6

C2: =INDEX($M$14:$M$29,MATCH(B2,$N$14:$N$29,0))
Copy that down through C6

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"MichaelS" wrote:

This should be easy, but I can't seem to get it to work.
I have several columns of data relating to Hockey Team stats. One of
the
columns contains total points per player. I would like to use the
'LARGE'
function to identify the top five values in the points coulmn, and
return the
associated players name via an 'OFFSET' function. I have tried the
following, which looks OK to me, but doesn't seem to work.
=OFFSET(LARGE(M14:M29,1),0,-8)

--
LTR