Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Billigmeier

Default How to return the text data of the first col after getting the max

Assume your month names are in column A, and your numbers are in column B:

=INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(MAX(B1:B10),B1:B10,0))

Just change the row and column references to fit your data.

Dave

"Joyce" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the following?
I have 2 columns, one for months and the other for a number value.
I use the Max function to find the largest number in the second column,
which is 9 here.
My question: is there a function/formula that will return the cell
containing the word "May" based on the results of the Max function?

Jan 6 largest value is 9 for the month of May
Feb 2
Mar 4
Apr 2
May 9