Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Default get a total based on criteria in two columns

There may be an easier formula but this worked for me.

{=SUM(IF(MONTH(A$2:A$7)=1,IF(YEAR(A$2:A$7)=2005,IF (B$2:B$7=I2,1,0))))}

Range A2:A7 is the date in YYYY/MM/DD format.
Range B2:B7 is the "Status" (REGISTERED, CLOSED, RENEWED)

I chose the month of January and the year of 2005 to be the count
criteria.

In the column to the right of my formula, I entered the 3 statuses in
cells I2:I4.
Formula pasted in cell H2 and dragged down to H4 to reference each
status. This is an array formula so enter with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

Regards,

Steve

--
SteveG