Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ted

Default how can I count blank cells as a zero, when using formula plea

Hi, thanks for your help, but unfortunately it just makes it return zeros for
all of the sums - any ideas??

thanks again, Ted

"Ian" wrote:

=IF(OR(A2="",B2=""),0,A2-B2)

--
Ian
--
"Ted" wrote in message
how can I get sums to perform as normal, even when it is confronted by
empty cells? I realise that if I am computing, say, A1-B1 and A2-B2 and
there
is no data in one of them (e.g. A2-B2) then I will get a #VALUE! error
message because of no data etc. How can I get around this please, and have
the answer cell display a zero for the result, when there is no data to
compute

E.G.

{using the fake data of 5-6=1 and 0-3=#VALUE!}

from:
A1[5] - B1[6] = C1[1]
A2[empty cell] - B2[3] = #VALUE!

to:
A1[5] - B1[6] = C1[1]
A2[empty cell] - B2[3] = 0

I cant have zeros appear in the dependant cells because it alters other
formula, so just neet it to class a blank/empty cell as a zero.

Any ideas please??

Ted.