Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Default Can I access the previous version of a saved file?

Biff

*.xlk files are backup files.

These are created when you set it up in FileSave AsToolsGeneral
OptionsSave Options "Always create a backup".

This backup is created when you save the file, not when you "Save as"
another
name.

Yes, I know. That's what I meant in my reply to Jerry. The original file is
not a *.xlk backup.

Biff

JCC

If you had file A open and "Saved as" file B, file A is not over-written.

It will still be on your computer in its original form. Do a search for
it.

Biff

*.xlk files are backup files.

These are created when you set it up in FileSave AsToolsGeneral
OptionsSave Options "Always create a backup".

This backup is created when you save the file, not when you "Save as"
another
name.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:06:01 -0800, JCC
wrote:

Biff,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, what I somehow managed to do was to
"save as" over an existing file name. It is the prior version of this
"saved
as" file that I would love to find -- the one that existed before I "saved
as" into that same file name. I suspect that Jerry Lewis may be right on
this, though I wish he wasn't!

JCC

"Biff" wrote:

Mine does!

And they're not backup files: *.xlk

Biff

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote in message
Not unless you have a backup copy. Excel does not keep previous
versions.

Jerry

JCC wrote:

I overwrote an excel file by mistake, using the save as command to an
incorrect file. Is there any way to recover the previous file before
"saved as" over it?