Electra

Hi D,
the simple answer is that there is no easy way to do this. But with
some effort Excel will allow you to do this. Programming/formulas
will be required. I am not sure if you still want to do it? But
below is 1 way to do it.

To import this file into Excel it matters which version of Excel you
are using. The way to do this varies depending on the version of
Excel you are working in. I am working in Excel 2003.

in this version of excel choose:
dataimport external dataimport datafiles of type: all file browse
to your cvs file. click on it and choose open.

when you do that the import wizard opens and you are on step 1 of 3 in
the import wizard screens. on screen 1 choose delimited file and
click next

on the step 2 of 3 screens in the import wizard choose:
delimiters: commas(deselect others)
also check: treat consective delimiters as 1
and choose text qualifiers: none
click next

on the step 3 of 3 screens in the import wizard HIGHLIGHT EACH COLUMN
YOU DON'T WANT imported AND CHOOSE the Column data format radio button
at the bottom do not import column(skip) when done click finished

on the next screen (import data screen) select the New worksheet radio
button
(note the properites button at bottom: you can change some properities
but if you are a novice user just leave it) click ok and you are done.

The next time you want to read this data into excel just click
datarefresh data (at the bottom). Note the file has to have the
exact same structure the next time. More rows are ok but more
columns(commas) are not.

Now moving the columns around. it is best not to move the columns
around on this sheet because when you refesh the sheet all those
changes will be wiped out.

I think a better idea is to make another sheet in the same workbook
and set up formula that rearrange the sheets. For example if sheet2
is the import sheet then on sheet1 in cell a1 you could type
=sheet2!c1 and copy this formula down. that would mmove column C to
Colunm A

"D" wrote in message news:<MZYjd.245347$a85.189457@fed1read04...
Hmmm- I dont see that option. I go to DataImport I select my file, select
my sheet, and then it imports the ENTIRE sheet into the file, not give me
the options as to which columns I want where. Any ideas? What am I missing?
Thanks

"NickHK" wrote in message
D,
It's still text, just indicating that it is Comma Separated.

Alternative way is DataImport Text file, select which columns to drop,
then
rearrange your columns in the required order.

NickHK

"D" wrote in message news:naYjd.245283$a85.49229@fed1read04...
ok, this may sound silly here, but-
The CSV file isn't a text file per se', it's an Excel CSV file. Does that
matter? I am checking that out now- thanks Nick.

"NickHK" wrote in message
D,
You could query the text file then.
Check out Dataget External dataNew database query and tailor to your
needs
for the text file.

NickHK

"D" wrote in message
Hmmm- not sure about this. Someone was telling me about 'linking'
files
or
columns from one sheet to another. Is this easily done and can work in

my
situation? How do I do it if it can work?
thanks

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote in message
D,

No mapping that I know of -- but easily done with macro programming.
There are multiple ways to read a text file into a sheet, depending

in
part on the version of Excel you're using. Check out
http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/textfiles.htm

--
Earl Kiosterud

"D" wrote in message
Hey guys- been searching for a while now, and all the posts are a

little
more complex than I think this needs to be. Can you help?

Basically, I have a CSV file that I need to import into another
'Template' file. But- here's the key- not EVERY column in the CSV

file
needs to import into my template. Also, the columns in the CSV file
are
NOT in the same order they need to be in the Template file. So, I

need
be able to pick and choose which columns import and go where. Does
that
make sense? Is there an easy 'import mapping' system to use or any

other
way to do this? Like I said, everything Im seeing is looking pretty
complicated- more than I think it needs to be. This seems as if
it'd
be
fairly easy to accomplish, I'm just not finding answers I need.
Thanks for any help.