Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe D

Default Top Five selections based on sum of items meeting criteria

I currently have a spreadsheet of ithousands of investment data recods that
each have specific criteria:

Examples
Fund- 1,2,3, etc.
Issuer - IBM, Ford, etc
Asset - Common Stock, Bond, etc
Country - USA, China, France,etc
Category - 1,2,3,4, etc
Industry - Auto, Health care, manufacturing
MV - Market Value

On a daily basis I refresh the data with current market price information.

At that point I need to be able to update a report that shows the top five
issuers in each Category (1,2,3,4,etc) by Market Value for each fund. I
currently run a pivot table on the data table and sort descending and then
copy and paste the results into the report. The problem is that I have to do
this approx. 50 times per week and it takes alot of time.

Example
I would like the report to link to the data table and somehow be able to
total the MV of all Category 1's, 2's etc and then list the top 5 in each
category in descending order. I need to do this for each of 3 funds( the
fund (1,2,3) are noted in one of the columns described above.

Category 1
IBM $567,897
Ford $234,152
3
4
5

Category 2
Fiat $545,666
Toyota $332,123
3
4
5

etc

Is this something I can do in excel or do I need something else?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can provide a sample of the data if
that helps.

--
Joe D

--