Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links,microsoft.public.access.importexportlink
travis

Default Obtaining a single Access record from Excel input

The standard "Import External Data" function in Excel makes it easy
enough to obtain a single record in Excel from an Access database, but
I'm trying to figure out how to use a figure in the spreadsheet in the
MS Query.

For instance, if I want to put a person's name in a cell and I want a
particular person, I can easily get this with the Query Wizard,
PersonID "equals" and then pull down the number I want from the menu.
Easy.

But how do I use a number in an Excel cell to specify what I want
PersonID to equal. This way I can sprinkle queries throughout my
spreadsheet for various things I want (address, phone number, date of
birth etc etc), and I could put the PersonID that I want in some cell
in the Excel sheet. If I want to change the PersonID, I could
accomplish it by changing just one cell in Excel and all of the queries
will then look up the appropriate person's details.

From a bit of reading I think the answer has something to do with the

"parameters" button, but this is greyed out for some reason.

Travis